I've been meaning to make one of my favorite desserts (and one of my family's favorites as well) but our schedule has been really tight. So, I've decided that I'll just post the recipe even though I was not able to make it recently. I got the recipe for this very delicious treat from a male college friend. I first tried to make it when I was in college and since then, I had been making it for special occasions, usually Christmas or New Year. So, in case you're looking for an easy to make dessert, I suggest that you read this recipe and try it. Who knows, it might also become one of your family's favorites.
Crema de Fruta Refrigerator Cake
Ingredients for Crust:
Crushed Graham crackers
crushed pineapple (minus the juice)
Ingredients for Filling:
4 cans condensed milk
Crushed Graham crackers
Ingredients for Topping:
1 medium can fruit cocktail (drained)
1 tetra pack of all purpose cream
1. Mix the crushed Graham crackers, melted butter and crushed pineapple in a pan (round, square or rectangular) and press to the bottom and sides. Set aside and chill or put in the freezer while preparing the filling.
2. Remove the milk can labels and wash the condensed milk cans. Put inside a pot.
3. Fill the pot with water until the water reaches the top of the cans.
4. Bring the water to a boil and turn down the heat once boiling. Let it simmer for 2 hours, checking it frequently to make sure the water in the pot does not go lower than the middle of the cans to prevent the milk cans from burning.
5. Remove the pot and the milk cans from the heat after 2 hours. Let the milk cans cool a bit before opening.
6. Once cooled, bring out the cake pan from the refrigerator.
7. Pour out the contents of 2 milk cans over the crust to form the first layer. Make sure the milk is leveled. (The cooked milk is light brown or dark cream in color.)
8. Top the milk with crushed Graham. Make sure that it's evenly distributed as well.
9. Next, pour out the contents of the remaining 2 milk cans over the crushed Graham.
10. Pour crushed Graham again over the second layer of cooked condensed milk.
11. Mix the fruit cocktail and the all purpose cream in a bowl.
12. Top the second layer of crushed Graham crackers with the fruit cocktail mixture.
13. Freeze for at least 4 hours. What I usually do is to make this the night before the special occasion where I would be serving this. Then, I just thaw it inside the refrigerator by bringing it out of the freezer at least an hour before serving so it can be removed easily from the pan and cut into serving pieces.