Friday, March 8, 2013

Recipes for Meatless Fridays: Baked Mussels (Baked Tahong)

It's Friday once more!  Sorry that I was not able to post a meatless recipe last Friday. I totally forgot to make a blog post due to my very hectic schedule in the past week.  I came home late from a meeting in Makati for one of the books I'm writing last Thursday and the following Friday morning, my husband and I went to PICC early to attend the Wealth Summit which was totally awesome! Anyway, you may read some of my posts about that event here and here.
 
 
Now, since it's another Friday of Lent, let me share another favorite meatless recipe of mine.  I love this dish!  It's so quick and easy to prepare.  You can even ask your small kids to help you prepare it.  It's so cheap.  And most of all, it's so delicious!
 
 
Mussels are abundant in the Philippines especially in the coastal areas that's why they are cheap. You just need to make sure that you buy the fresh ones to prevent potential problems after cooking or eating them.  Also, always check if there's a "red tide" alert before buying.
 
 
I have not heard of a red tide alert reccently so here's my Baked Mussels or Baked Tahong Recipe.
 
 
Baked Mussels (Baked Tahong)
 
 
Ingredients:
 
1/2 kilo of mussels, cleaned and boiled so the shells would open
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of softened salted butter
6-8 cloves garlic, pounded and minced
finely chopped fresh parsley
grated quickmelt cheese
black pepper to taste (optional)
 
 
Procedure:
 
  1. Soften butter in a sauce pan. Then remove from heat.
  2. Mix all the ingredients (butter, garlic, parsley) well in a bowl except the grated quickmelt cheese.
  3. Remove the other half of the shell or the cover from the mussel.
  4. Spoon the mixture into each mussel shell. It should be enough to cover the mussel.
  5. Top with grated quickmelt cheese.
  6. Bake in oven toaster or regular oven for 5-10 minutes depending on the size of your mussels.  The bigger ones take longer to cook.  I suggest you test using a few mussels before baking a big batch to prevent burning your mussels.
  7. Serve hot as appetizer or with rice as part of the main meal.
 
I cooked this dish for one of my birthday celebrations years ago and it was a hit!  Try this recipe and get back to me for your feedback, okay?  A blessed Friday to all!
 
 
P.S.
If this is your first time to stumble into my blog, you may check out my one of my latest Lenten posts here and my previously posted meatless recipes such as Crusted Tilapia Fillet, Paksiw na Bangus and Spanish Sardines Pasta. Hope you'll come back again to read some more next time. God bless!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment