Do you also experience those days when you suddenly find yourself too busy to go to the grocery to buy your stuff? Do you also have those days when you only have a few minutes to spare to prepare a quick lunch or dinner? I had one of those days around a week ago. I was so busy and around an hour before lunch, we hurriedly checked our cupboard to see what we can cook for lunch. Luckily, I found some uncooked macaroni and a can of corned beef inside. I asked our helper to buy a small pouch of spaghetti sauce in a nearby convenience store and instructed her how to prepare this simple recipe that can be cooked in minutes. It's also budget-friendly and yummy!
Here's the recipe.
1 can of corned beef (small to medium size)
1 small/medium pouch of spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce
1 small pack of macaroni (500 g) cooked according to package instructions
1 small onion, chopped
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tablespons cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
a dash of basil
half cup of water or chicken broth
- Saute onions in oil until transparent.
- Add the garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Add the corned beef. Cook until dark red or for about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce of spaghetti sauce and simmer under low heat.
- Pour in the water or broth. Simmer for ten minutes. Mix constantly to prevent the mixture from getting burned.
- Season with salt and pepper and a dash of basil according to taste.
- Mix the sauce with the cooked macaroni.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Serve hot.
- Garnish with chopped parsley. (Optional)