Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pillow for Mommy

My shoulder and back muscles were already tense and aching.  I had been sitting in front of the computer for hours.  I was having difficulty writing a project proposal.  I was not in the flow.  Words did not come easily unlike in the recent writing assignments I finished days ago. 


Then, as I stared at my unfinished proposal, I saw my three year old son running towards me with a pillow from our bedroom.  He said, “For you, Mommy.  For your back.”  He placed it on the backrest of my chair and pushed me to lean on it.  I felt like crying and smiling at the same time.  How did my son know that I was already having back aches?  I did not tell him.  He was in the bedroom playing with his baby brother and our house help.

 
My three year old son, Yanthy, with a pillow from our bedroom.

But I knew,” said God.  Yes, God knew I was tired.  God knew that I needed rest.  I felt God tell me through my son’s gesture of kindness that I need to rest not only my tired body, but my tired soul as well.  “I am in control.  When things do not happen as you expect, I am still in control.  When the things that you work hard for don’t give you the results that you want, remember that I am in control.  When you are faced with a blank computer screen and it’s already your deadline, I am still in control.  Do not worry.  Do not dwell in your disappointment.  Instead, rest in me. Let me take over.”  That was God’s powerful message to me yesterday through my son and the pillow he gave me.


I kissed my son and embraced him.  I thanked him for being sensitive and thoughtful.  I thanked him that he took the initiative to give me a pillow even though I did not ask for it.  I rested in his embrace and then leaned on the pillow to rest my back and rest my soul.


Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for him. (Psalm 37:7)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)


Are you tired, too?  Do you also have things to do that remain undone or deadlines that are unmet?  Did you work hard for something and you did not get the result that you want?  Dear Mommy friend, let’s lean on God and rest in Him.  Let’s offer up our concerns to Him in prayer and let God’s peace flow into our minds and hearts.  Let’s give to God what is beyond our control at this time.  Then, let’s wait patiently for God to turn things around for us. 


Say this with me, “God is in control. I have time to rest my weary soul.”

Mommy TG 

No comments:

Post a Comment