Thursday, June 14, 2012

Inspiring Lessons from Babysitting Mateo

Persistence is defined as firm or obstinate continuance in a course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition.

Determination is defined as firmness of purpose; resoluteness.

I had been seeing these two admirable qualities in my baby, Mateo, since he started crawling at three months old.  He would keep on practicing -- in his crib or on our bed.  When he has mastered crawling after keeping at it for a number of weeks, he started practicing how to sit.  Then, he started kneeling down.  Lately, he has been practicing how to stand.

He would use whatever he could lay his hands on to help him achieve his purpose, which is to stand.  Just like his older brother, Yanthy, when he was still a baby, Mateo would use his hands, his face, and his head to support himself as he tries to stand.  If someone or something is near him, he would grab or hold on to that someone or something to pull himself up.  He is resolute.  He would not stop practicing even at night.  He keeps on trying.  He keeps on keeping on even as he falls repeatedly on all sides.  He doesn't mind if he gets hurt.

Look Mom, one hand only.
That's why I'm not surprised that he can already stand on his own inside his crib, sometimes using only one hand to support himself at six months old. There are also times when he challenges himself.  He lets go of whatever he is using to support himself as if testing how long he could stand without support.  Then, he smiles as he lands on his bottom. 


First time to stand on his own inside crib.


Twisting and turning while standing
using one hand only for support.
Last night, he was able to stand on his own by spring up from sitting position inside his crib and slightly touching the sides of the crib with his two hands.  Then, he twisted and turned to his sides with only one hand supporting him.  We were all amazed!  It must have been almost five minutes before he eventually fell down, enough for me to take a number of pictures and for us to converse with him while he's standing.

I couldn't help but admire this child.  He has been inspiring me in the past weeks to be persistent in working towards my dreams and goals in spite of difficulties and disappointments.  He has been modeling to me how to be persistent and determined.  His successes in hitting his milestones quite fast inspire me and sends me the message that if I also continuously do what I need to do in spite of my challenges, I will be surprised as well one day to realize that I have already achieved my goals or dreams.
"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised." Hebrews 10:36

I thank the Lord for these inspirings thoughts and lessons.  I thank Him that He used my baby, Mateo, to inspire me.  I thank Him for blessing me and encouraging me through my son.  I am amazed once more that God has spoken powerfully to me as I performed my duty as a mom.  Moments and lessons like these make ordinary days at home extraordinarily joyful.

"I will persist until I succeed. Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.... I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking." (Og Mandino)

No comments:

Post a Comment