Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Tribute to God’s Wisdom and Faithfulness

Surrender your dreams at Jesus’ feet.  Allow your dreams to die.  If God wills them to resurrect, He will give them back to you purified.

I first learned those lessons when I was still working full time and slowly growing in my career as HR professional.  One of my dreams then was to become a consultant one day.  I continued doing my job to the best of my abilities without sacrificing my priorities.  I saw my efforts bear much fruit. 

In addition to that, God opened up opportunities for me to develop my passion for writing.  Doors of opportunities came along and I seized them.  I was excited for the many possibilities in store for me.

Then, my dream of meeting God’s best for me happened and we tied the knot.  A few months after our wedding, God called me to surrender these dreams of mine.  I quit my full time job.  I focused on building our home and new family.

I saw my dreams die before my eyes.  It was difficult, painful, and disheartening.  Deep inside, I was wondering why God would plant those dreams in my heart and let them die that way.  But I chose to fix my eyes on my Lord and chose not to question His wisdom and plans for my life.  I chose to obey.  If He chooses to reveal to me His plans or His reasons, I would be happy.  But if not, I would be happy still, knowing that I had been obedient to Him.
I grew to love my new career as a wife and mother.  I’ve been doing my best to honor God in my new mission field, when slowly I noticed God giving me opportunities again to practice what I used to love doing before I got married and had children.  From a few or occasional projects (both on HR and writing), God has showered me now with more than what I think I can handle.  This prompted me to spend more time listening to God for direction. 

When I chose to let go of the security that a full time job gives, I didn’t know how and where I’m going to start looking for part-time or free lance projects that would enable me to continuously develop and use my skills while working from home most of the time.  I only knew that I was doing what God called me to do.  Around four years later, I find myself surrounded with many opportunities that make me stop and ask God if I should take them on or not because I don’t want to lose sight of my priorities and sacrifice my two most important duties now. 

I write this post as my way of thanking and honoring God for His faithfulness to me.  He has been true to His promises.  He was always there to provide for my family’s every need.  Whenever a need arises, He would provide for us through my husband’s job, through a project that I could work on, or through other unexpected means. 

I want to honor Him too for His wisdom.  He knows perfectly well when to fulfill my dreams.  He allowed my dreams to die to prune me.  Then, He gave them back to me purified and in a much better version.  God continues to give me new opportunities to take on now.  I pray that I would be faithful to my call as a wife and mother even as I welcome these new opportunities in my career as a consultant and writer.  I don’t want to fulfill these dreams at the expense of my family.  I pray for a double portion of God’s wisdom now so I would be more discerning.  I want to say yes only to those offers or opportunities where I can best glorify God.  I want to have the discipline and the strength to say no to those that will compromise my priorities and values.  Truly, blessings are also responsibilities.  I need to stay close to God to remain attuned to Him.  I pray that I would be able to honor Him with my choices and that it would be evident that He is in control of my life and career, whether I say yes or no to an opportunity or offer. 


"Instruct me, O Lord, in the way of your statutes, that I may exactly observe them.  Give me discernment, that I may observe your law and keep it with all my heart.  Lead me in the path of your commands, for in it I delight. Incline my heart to your decrees and not to gain.  Turn away my eyes from seeing what is vain: by your way give me life.  Behold, I long for your precepts; in your justice give me life." Psalm 119:33-37, 40
To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment