Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Weekend Events: Manila International Book Fair and Mural Painting

I'm so excited for the coming weekend!  One of the reasons for that is that I'm planning to attend the 33rd Manila International Book Fair with the kids.   It is one of the longest-running book fairs in Asia and it will be at the SMX Convention Center, Mall of Asia in Pasay from September 12-16 (Wednesday to Sunday).
 
I plan to bring the kids there for a field trip on Friday morning.  We will attend the Adarna House launch of their new books for 2012.  According to the Adarna House blog, there will be storytelling, games, facepainting, freebies and book-signing by authors/illustrators as part of the launch.  I'm very happy too that we'll be going to the book fair for free courtesy of the Adarna House.  Check out their blog how to get free tickets.
 
Photo source here.
 
Another reason why I'm excited to look around the book fair is that there will be hundreds of local and foreign exhibitors showcasing their books and offering many of them at discounted prices.  Click here to see their list of exhibitors this year.  This will certainly be a feast for booklovers/bookworms like me!  This will be an opportunity for my kids to witness a book fair and be surrounded by so many books of different kinds.
 
Aside from this event, I'm supposed to attend a free literacy seminar by Adarna House as well on Saturday afternoon, September 15.  
 
Photo source here.
 
I have actually registered already together with my husband but there are now two reasons why I'm no longer sure if I can still attend it.  First, my husband has a follow-up check up that same afternoon and his doctor's clinic schedule is  at the same time slot as the seminar.  Second, I found out from my friend A.G. SaƱo that Ric O'Barry will be joining him on Saturday to paint dolphins on the walls of UP Diliman along Balara/Katipunan area.  I've been wanting to join AG in the past year/months since he started his advocacy/campaign to save the dolphins and stop their slaughter by painting murals on walls but there's usually a conflict in our schedule. 

Photo source: A.G.'s Facebook Account

I was so excited when I found out that he will be painting a wall in UP Diliman (where I studied college) and Ric O'Barry would be joining him.  A.G. founded the Dolphins Love Freedom Movement and he has painted more than 23,000 dolphins since he started.  Ric O'Barry is featured in the Academy Award-winning documentary The Cove.  He's been figting against dolphin captivity and slaughter for more than 30 years now.  He was a recipient of the 'Environmental Achievement Award' presented by the United States Committee for the United Nations Environmental Program (US/UNEP).  He also authored the books Behind the Dolphin Smile, To Free a Dolphin (both with Keith Colbourne) and most recently Die Bucht about dolphins and the making of The Cove published in Germany with Hans Peter Roth.  To find out more about Ric O'Barry, click here and here.  Now, I'm torn where I'm going and taking the kids this Saturday.  I'm inclined to bring them to UP though since this could be our only chance to meet Ric O'Barry and my eldest has been asking for some time now when he's going to paint a wall mural with his Tito AG.  I encourage you to join this event and help raise people's awareness about the negative effects of capturing and killing dolhins.  This would be a good eye opener to adults and a good lesson on the environment to kids. 

[There was a change in venue for the mural painting. Below is the a poster with the updated details.]

Photo from Maye Padilla through Facebook.

Last but not least, I'm excited for this weekend because I was able to reserve a slot for the talk "Write Your Own Book" by Central Books Supply, Inc., which is scheduled on Sunday, September 16 at the Manila International Book Fair.  The speaker will be Dr. Isagani Cruz.  Although I have already published my own book before (with some help from my friend AG also), I feel that there's so much I need to learn about writing my own book and publishing a book. 
 
There you have it -- my 3 reasons for being excited for the coming weekend!
 
You may click here to check out the detailed schedule of events at the 33rd Manila International Book Fair.

MIBF UPDATE: I can give 20 free tickets courtesy of ETL to homeschooling families who want to go to the book fair today (September 13, 2012 from 10 am onwards) and on Sunday, same time.  First come, first serve so leave a comment on this post telling me when you'd like to go to the book fair and how many tickets you need.  You may email me or post your mobile number so I can give instruction on how to get your free ticket/s.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment