Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Search, Cut and Paste Activity (Part 1)

It's Sunday today but because we are a homeschooling family, we are not limited to having activities that foster learning during weekdays.  Since we had a long day yesterday and I still feel a bit tired, I've decided that the kids and I will just stay home today.  The thought of seeing so many people in the malls again was not encouraging.  So, I came up with an idea that would keep me and my little boy busy during the afternoon when he wakes up from his nap.
 
I taught my little boy to make a picture collage for the different letters of the alphabet.  I told him that we will look for things that start with specific letters of the alphabet from old magazines.  It's like playing "I Spy."  We started with some letters today. My plan is that we'll keep doing this a few letters a day until we finish all the letters of the alphabet.  This would be a good way for him to pay more attention to details (when looking at the pictures in the old magazines we are using for the activity), to develop more patience, and to improve his frustration tolerance.  It also tests his impulse control as he squeezes some glue into the cut outs and his commitment to complete the tasks.  Moreover, I got to reinforce another lesson that we often remind him of -- cleaning after his mess.  I asked him to pick up the big pieces of paper scattered on the floor and throw them in the trash can.  After that, he got his small broom and swept the floor.
 
Today, we worked on the letters A, B, C and D.  Since we saw some objects that start with the letter G that he liked very much, we cut them too and pasted them on bond paper.  We'll finish the letter G collage tomorrow.
 
A is for apple, airplane, aircon and arm.


B is for basket, butterfly, blackboard, bottles, building,
book, basketball, bouncing ball, boots, bag and bear. 


C is for cellphone, cat, car, calculator, can,
chair, clock, cookie, closet and candle.

D is for drums, dolphin, dolls, dog and dress.
 
This activity is not only easy to facilitate; it's budget-friendly and environment-friendly as well.  It demonstrates to my little boy that we can still use old magazines for other purposes and use them to learn.
 
I'm glad that we started this picture collages today.  This would surely keep us busy in the next days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment