Friday, March 15, 2013

Recipes for Meatless Fridays: Seafood Kare-Kare

It's another beautiful Friday of Lent!  Today, I will share about a dish that I first tried when I was still a college student taking up Hotel and Restaurant Administration in the University of the Philippines in Diliman.
 
It was also Lent at that time and we were planning for our catering class.  My groupmates and I thought of making a delicious twist to the traditional Kare-Kare which is usually cooked with beef.  The result was still a delicious Kare-Kare with new ingredients.
 
What we did was to simply blanch the vegetables so as not to lose their nutrients and to prevent them from becoming soggy.  We did not mix the vegetables right away with the sauce.  We put the vegetables when the dish is about to be served.  We chose to put one kind of fish which has firm flesh that's cut into bit-size squares (to ensure it won't flake easily when cooked), mussels, shrimps and squid rings. 
 
I have lost our original recipe so I've decided to look for similar Kare-Kare recipes in the web that I can share with you.  You may choose from these recipes which you think would best suit your taste and which seafoods to include.  You may also choose to make your own peanut sauce from scratch (which my groupmates I did before) or use the store-bought ready to mix sauce.  We also did not mix the bagoong or shrimp paste right away to the sauce.  It was served with the dish but placed in a smaller container.
 
 
Seafood Kare-Kare
 
 
 
 
 
 
Try one Seafood Kare-Kare recipe and let me know how you find it?  A grace-filled Friday to you and your family!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment