Friday, August 2, 2013

Reaching Out to Fellow Moms Through Hakab na!: A Breastfeeding Mob

Yesterday, I wrote a post here about reaching out to fellow breastfeeding moms (and those who are considering to breastfeed) through my upcoming book Breastfeeding: A Journey Worth Taking. Today, I'm writing about the first breastfeeding mob that I will join since I breastfed my kids around four years ago. Incidentally, this will be the first of its kind in the Philippines although there were similar "breastfeeding flash mobs" organized in other parts of the globe.
 
Photo source: Breastfeeding Pinay FB Page
 
I'm thus very excited to participate in the Hakab na! A Breastfeeding Mob organized by the Breastfeeding Pinays. This event will happen tomorrow at 3 PM in four key cities: Manila, Davao, Cagayan de Oro and Bacolod. I will join the flash mob in Manila which will be at the Rajah Sulayman Park in Malate. We were advised though to be at the event venue by 2:30 PM for registration, briefing and some chit-chat with fellow breastfeeding moms. The event seeks to promote the importance of providing support to breastfeeding moms which is consistent with this year's World Breastfeeding Week Theme (Breastfeeding Support: Close to Mothers).
 
"Breastfeeding rates have steadily gone up over the years through efforts by different government, non-government organizations and medical communities, there is still so much to be done," says Velvet Escario-Roxas of Breastfeeding Pinays, a stay-at-home mom who does free breastfeeding counseling. She is also the Deputy Executive Director of Arugaan.
Another poster shared at our
Breastfeeding Pinays Facebook Page
 


I agree with her. That's the same reason why I've decided to write a book on breastfeeding. I want to encourage more Filipino moms (Pinays) to breastfeed their children, to at least give it a try. I want them to know that it's possible to breastfeed whatever is their background, whether they are working or not.
 
The following are Breastfeeding Pinays' partners in organizing this event: Kaya Women Empowerment and Support Group, LATCH, Arugaan, Newlyweds@Work, Tickled Moms, Davao's Mommy Sense, Cagayan De Oro's Mommy Bright Side, the Bacolod Mom and Baby Club and bloggers, Jenny Ong (Chronicles of a Nursing Mom) and Eliza Ypon (The Painter's Wife).
 
 
I'm so happy to have discovered this Facebook Group, Breastfeeding Pinays, recently! I look forward to meeting and bonding with fellow breastfeeding moms and their families tomorrow.

Are you also a breastfeeding mom? It's not yet too late to join us tomorrow. You may click here to go to the official event page and register. I also encourage you to support breastfeeding as an advocacy by sharing this event to your friends and family. Together, let's work towards making the Philippines a breastfeeding nation!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment