Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Because of Love, Because of God

I read a reflection entitled “Proof of Love” from A Woman After God’s Own Heart devotional during the Holy Week that reminded me of my life purpose.

Love means that although you’re exhausted, you still serve. When you want to sit down and rest, you continue on. Love takes action even when it requires strenuous effort. These actions are proof of love. Jesus said, “This is my commandment that you love one another as I have loved you… You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should remain.” (John 15:12,16) Where has God placed you to show love by your actions? One woman responded, “In the day-to-day, mundane circumstances of life.” God’s Spirit at work in you will cause the fruit of love to blossom as you do His work.

I was struck with this reflection because I could very much relate to it. There are many times when I feel exhausted taking care of the baby and managing the household. Although we have a helper, I still need to supervise her closely to make sure that food is properly prepared and cooked, the house and the baby’s things are thoroughly cleaned and the clothes and supplies are well organized in the closets and cabinets. There are also times when keeping the house clean and orderly is extra challenging. These are the times when we do not have a helper temporarily like when a helper leaves and we’re still looking for a replacement. During these times, I do most of the household chores on top of caring for the baby. Good thing there is a laundry shop near our place that picks up and delivers our laundry to us. It’s during these backbreaking days that I feel God’s grace the most. His Holy Spirit enables me to tap into reservoirs of strength that move me to do what I need to do even when sometimes I no longer feel like doing it.

I also remember days when I thought and felt that my baby or my husband was difficult to love. God’s grace alone enabled me to continuously serve them during those times.

But that’s what real love is – committed, steadfast, sacrificing, enduring, patient, forgiving. Real love is based not on feelings alone but more importantly on a decision. It’s a decision I have made when I agreed to be George’s girlfriend, fiancĂ© and wife. It’s a decision that I make each day of our married life. It’s a decision I continuously make even when Yanthy or George is not as lovable as I want them to be in my eyes. It’s a decision I commit to make – in spite of all the challenges and difficulties – ultimately for Jesus Christ. For it’s no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.

“To know God and to know His love. To love God and to make Him loved.” I have adapted this as my personal mission statement since I was in college. I got the inspiration from a Christian song I learned back then. The other night, God reminded me that whenever I choose to love my family in good times and in bad, I prove my love not only for them but most especially for Him. And every time I do that, I also bring them closer to Him and teach them through my actions to love Him.

I felt so much joy after having those insights. I fell asleep very much at peace knowing that I continue to live out my life purpose in my new state of life. Truly, God puts so much meaning into our lives no matter how ordinary they seem to be. I can’t help but be grateful for the joy that He brings. His presence and involvement in my family life makes a big difference.


TG
041309

No comments:

Post a Comment