One of the soups I like preparing for my eldest son, Yanthy, and my husband is Potato and Bacon Soup. It's very simple yet very delicious and nutritious. I like pairing it with fried dishes like fried chicken, pork chop or fish fillet. Or your child can enjoy it as is since it has carbohydrates and meat.
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2-3 strips of bacon, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Knorr chicken cube dissolved in 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken broth
1. Washed the potatoes, peel and cut into small cubes. Set aside in a bowl with water to prevent browning.
2. Render the fat from the coarsely chopped bacon in a small pot. Set aside the bacon in a saucer/plate leaving the oil.
3. Saute the onions until transparent.
4. Add the garlic and saute until light brown.
5. Add the the bacon back to the pot. Add the chicken broth and the potatoes.
6. Boil until the potatoes are almost cooked.
7. Lower the heat and add half cup of evaporated milk. (You may make it 1 cup to make it creamier or use cream instead of milk.)
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer until done.
9. Serve hot.