Tuesday, August 21, 2012

6 Wise Investments for Breastfeeding Moms

Since it's Breastfeeding Month this August, let share one of the articles I wrote at Mom's Corner of Philippine Online Chronicles (POC).  Hope this helps other breastfeeding moms or those planning to breastfeed.

**********

 
I wrote about the five wise investments for a first time mom before here at Mom’s Corner. This time, I’d like to share what I think are some wise investments for moms who choose to breastfeed their kids. I had been breastfeeding for a total of two and half years already. I breastfed my eldest son from birth until he was two years old. I plan to do the same for my second child whom I had been breastfeeding exclusively for six months now since I gave birth to him.

I wrote about the five wise investments for a first time mom before here at Mom’s Corner. This time, I’d like to share what I think are some wise investments for moms who choose to breastfeed their kids. I had been breastfeeding for a total of two and half years already. I breastfed my eldest son from birth until he was two years old. I plan to do the same for my second child whom I had been breastfeeding exclusively for six months now since I gave birth to him.

I encountered many challenges the first time I breastfed, as well as in the first few weeks that I breastfed my second baby. Thankfully, I was able to overcome them eventually. I wrote about how to win over breastfeeding challenges after I achieved my goal of breastfeeding my eldest for two years.
Breastfeeding is not easy; nevertheless, with a lot of commitment and help from people around you and the things I will enumerate in this article, it can be done even if you are a working mom.

What do I recommend nursing moms to invest on?

Good Nutrition – Your biggest investment would be on the food that you will eat. You need to make sure that you eat healthy and stay away from food and drinks that would not be good for you and your baby while you are breastfeeding. This would entail sacrifices on your part, especially if your favorite foods are those that you should not eat or eat less of while breastfeeding. To learn more on diets for breastfeeding moms and to find out what foods and drinks to avoid, click here and here.
A reliable breast pump – There are many kinds of breast pump available in the market. You can choose a manual breast pump, an electric breast pump or a portable breast pump that can be operated with batteries or that can be charged. If you just stay home and don’t leave your baby for long hours or frequently, a manual breast pump would suffice for you. If you are usually mobile and you need to express milk at work or away from the house, I highly recommend you invest on a portable breast pump. That would help you save time expressing milk at home and most especially at work. It would also enable you to build up your supply of stored breast milk faster. An example of this kind of breast pump is Pigeon’s silent electric breast pump.

Breast milk storage bottles and/or storage bags – These are what you need in tandem with your breast pump.



Click here to continue reading the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment