Friday, April 19, 2013

It Takes Time

There are days when you feel proud of what you are doing as a wife and mom.  But there are also days when you feel ashamed of your mistakes and shortcomings.  I have my share of those difficult days, too.  I have uttered words I wished I didn't say.  I have done things that I wished I didn't do.
 
There are days when I feel disappointed and frustrated with myself.  I thank God that He blessed me with a husband who constantly reminds me not to be too hard on myself and to just keep on trying and growing.  He once told me, "When you learn to accept and expect that you will make mistakes, you'll be less disappointed and frustrated when you witness the mistakes of those around you."  I know that there is truth to what he said.
 
Today, I reviewed chapter 5 of the book I wrote when I was still single.  I read some lines that I think I should post in our house to serve as a reminder to me.
 


I thank God for this timely reminder.  Although I strove to prepare well for marriage and motherhood, God reminded me that I'm still bound to make mistakes.  He assured me that it's okay.  I'm still a work in progress.  Even though I have spent years trying to follow the example of the Proverbs 31 Woman and many other women of the Bible, there's still much that I need to work on in my character.  My husband knows this very well. 
 
Today, God reminded me through my own book to give myself TIME TO GROW.  He reminded me that IT TAKES TIME TO GROW IN CHARACTER.  I learned and understood this as a single woman.  I need to learn, understand and embrace this now as a wife and mom.  I need to constantly apply this truth in my new challenges and circumstances.
 
It takes time... We moms can be impatient a lot of times.  We like to be in control.  We like to be on top of things.  We like things to be in order.  All these are good.  But we need to recognize that imperfections and unexpected developments are part and parcel of our lives.  That sometimes it's best for us to let go of outcomes and schedules.  That we should pick our battles with our husband and with our kids.  That we are not failures even when we make mistakes and have shortcomings.  That we can find gold in unexpected places and incidents.  That though we can barely see similarities between us and the ideal wife and mother in Proverbs 31, there is hope as long as we keep on trying. 
 
Are you also a wife and mom who is disappointed with yourself lately?  Did you also utter words or did things that made you feel guilty?  You are not alone.  I am with you in this journey.  More importantly, God is with us in this journey.
 
Let us find comfort and encouragement in these lines from Philippians 1:6:
 
"He who began a good work in you
will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
 
God will complete the work He began in us.  He will continue to mold and form us until we are perfect.  But that perfection will not happen today or right away.  It will happen on the day of our Lord. 
 
In the meantime, let us continue to be open to His grace and allow His grace to flow in us and through us to transform us and move us closer to becoming perfect for our Lord Jesus Christ.


* This post was added to the Catholic Bloggers Monthly Link-up Blitz for April 2013.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment